[pycrypto] pycryptopp alternative

Thorsten Behrens sbehrens at gmx.li
Mon Jan 3 12:16:42 CST 2011

I am glad to see alternatives, that's excellent!

Personally, I'd really like to see more efforts to have "pythonic" API
interfaces, though. Use PEP 272 for cipher API and PEP 247 for hash APIs.

Sure, PEP 272 is in essence nothing but an attempt to standardize
pycrypto's interface. Is there room to improve upon that API? Possibly
so. Not just for block ciphers, mind you, but for the parts that do not
have PEPs right now: public key interface, message padding, there are
more that need some love. That's why the Python maintainers have an open
issue to try and standardize a "Pythonic" crypto API.

And maybe the answer to that is: pycrypto is already keen on
"standardized, Pythonic, be-PEP'd" APIs, let that project run with it,
and other projects can focus on providing a more direct one-to-one
wrapper to underlying implementations.

Thorsten