[pycrypto] pycryptopp alternative Re: Comments on Elgamal, and a broader question: Whither pycrypto?

Zooko O'Whielacronx zooko at zooko.com
Mon Jan 3 09:09:11 CST 2011

pycryptopp is a good alternative if you can do without algorithms that
it doesn't support. It supports only a few at the moment -- AES,
RSA-PSS-SHA256 signatures (but not encryption), SHA-256. We'll slowly
add support for a few more in the future. We're adding ECDSA
signatures (but not encryption) right now, and a Google Summer of Code
student, Yu Xue, added support for XSalsa20, HMAC, and HKDF...

At least pycryptopp is developed with careful testing which catches
some bugs, and it is based on Crypto++ which itself gets developed by
Wei Dai and others.

Here is our buildbot showing tests being run on various platforms:

http://tahoe-lafs.org/buildbot-pycryptopp/waterfall

Here is the trac:

http://tahoe-lafs.org/trac/pycryptopp/wiki

Regards,