[pycrypto] Docs/code mis-match - not specifying IV fails

Charley Nibley cnibley at gmail.com
Tue Jan 7 16:59:10 PST 2014

Hi Hugh,

This behavior you are seeing is expected.  It changed with a fix to prevent
an empty string IV passed to the function. IV is always mandatory even if
at some point in a previous build it was being passed as all zeros.  I
believe the doc just needs updating.

See line 173:
https://github.com/dlitz/pycrypto/commit/411f60f58cea79f7e93476ba0c069b80a2a4c1a0

And see the comments here: https://bugs.launchpad.net/pycrypto/+bug/997464