[pycrypto] Run test suite with /dev/random

Sebastian Ramacher sebastian+lists at ramacher.at
Sun Jan 1 22:08:32 CST 2012

Hi,

I'm facing the following issue: in the Debian package of pycrypto we build
pycrypto for Python 2.6, 2.7 and 3.1 and the debug variants. For all these
versions and variants the test suite is run during the build. This works fine
except on the GNU/Hurd build system [1]. There the test suite succeeds for Py
2.6, 2.7 but fails for Py 3.2 because the system runs out of entropy.

I see two options to fix the issue on the Debian side:
 * Disable the test suite on GNU/Hurd.
 * Replace every occurrence of /dev/urandom with /dev/random and run the test
suite with /dev/random.

I don't like either of these two options. I'd rather prefer an option to specify
the random number generator that should be used for the test suite. But before
implementing such an option I'd like to know if this has any chance to be
accepted into pycrypto.

I'm open to other ideas as well and welcome any help.

Kind regerds

[1]
https://buildd.debian.org/status/fetch.php?pkg=python-crypto&arch=hurd-i386&ver=2.4.1-1&stamp=1321468390