[pycrypto] import/export for DSA keys

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at guardianproject.info
Tue Dec 20 11:59:30 CST 2011

On Dec 20, 2011, at 5:40 AM, Legrandin wrote:

>> I've gotten this import and export functionality working using a combination of pycrypto, python-potr, and pyparsing.
>> https://github.com/guardianproject/otrfileconverter
>>
>> Would it make sense to cook this into pycrypto's DSA objects?
>>
>> .hc
>
> I felt the need for that a few times in the past, and adding it to
> pycrypto was high on my to-do list, so I totally vote for that.
> It should be a standard format though (like PKCS8), otherwise there is
> no benefit over pickle.
> I don't think it should require extra dependencies either.

My code can currently output PKCS8, I'm not using pickle at all.  As for extra dependencies, I agree it should be minimal.  It should be easy to get rid of the python-potr dependency, but getting rid of pyparsing would mean writing a S-expressions parser from scratch and getting rid of pyasn1 would mean writing a DER format parser from scratch.    I won't have time to write those chunks but would welcome anyone taking that on.  Or the other option is dropping the support of those formats in pycrypto.

.hc

As we enjoy great advantages from inventions of others, we should be glad of an opportunity to serve others by any invention of ours; and this we should do freely and generously.        - Benjamin Franklin