[pycrypto] Install failure

Dean Macinskas dmacinskas at geobridge.net
Wed Oct 19 08:58:15 CST 2011

From: pycrypto-bounces at lists.dlitz.net [mailto:pycrypto-bounces at lists.dlitz.net] On Behalf Of Andrew Cooper
Sent: Wednesday, October 19, 2011 10:52 AM
To: PyCrypto discussion list
Subject: Re: [pycrypto] Install failure

On 19/10/2011 15:46, Dean Macinskas wrote:

Platform: W7pro, 64-bit

I downloaded the latest version (2.3) and ran "python setup.py install".  Here's what I see:

C:\Users\dmacinskas\AppData\Local\Temp\pycrypto\pycrypto-2.3>python setup.py install
running install
running build
running build_py
running build_ext
warning: GMP library not found; Not building Crypto.PublicKey._fastmath.
building 'Crypto.Random.OSRNG.winrandom' extension
error: Unable to find vcvarsall.bat

C:\Users\dmacinskas\AppData\Local\Temp\pycrypto\pycrypto-2.3>

This appears to defeat the install, because subsequently importing Crypto.Cipher produces a "module not found" error.

Any advice?

Do you have MSCV/MSVS installed?  You need a C compiler for "python setup.py install" to work.

~Andrew

No, but I have Python installed on another system, also without MSCV/MSVS installed, and I've imported lots of packages without error.  Is PyCrypto a special case in this regard?

Thanks,
dpm