[pycrypto] 'tis done: Python3 with PyCrypto

Thorsten Behrens sbehrens at gmx.li
Mon Jan 3 21:42:32 CST 2011

I've done what I will on the py3k branch. It's been tested on 2.1, 2.2,
2.7, 3.1 and 3.2.

AllOrNothing unit tests are now in and show AllOrNothing failing
occasionally. This has always been the case. The unit test just forces
the failure. Since I highly suspect that no-one actually uses
AllOrNothing.py - or these errors would have been detected before now -
I am not going to tackle that particular piece further. Others are more
than welcome to, of course!

I have updated the documentation that ships with pycrypto, adding
comments on the (in)security of the algorithms included, such as
MD2/4/5, SHA1, ARC2, ARC4. Please do have a look. These changes bear
verification by others. I may well have asserted that which is not true,
or distorted a fact here and there.

I've issued a pull request. I'm happy to make further changes if there
should be something I overlooked and that the unit tests did not expose.
But barring that, I consider the porting effort complete. All further
work - such as dealing with the errors in AllOrNothing.py and
random.sample() (the latter is an issue in Python 2.1 only), dealing
with security concerns in Elgamal.py, deciding the fate of qNEW - I'd
like to keep to trunk. I've made quite enough changes already on this
private branch.

Yours
Thorsten