[pycrypto] Policy changes - Now accepting patches from the U.S.

Paul Koning paul_koning at dell.com
Tue Nov 30 20:03:09 CST 2010

On Nov 30, 2010, at 7:06 PM, Dwayne C. Litzenberger wrote:

> On Tue, Nov 30, 2010 at 11:06:58AM -0500, Paul Koning wrote:
>> Indeed it's a limitation.  I remember the exact same issue in the days of
>> the FreeSWAN project (which was also Canada-based, and had a strict "no US
>> contributions" policy that was not relaxed).
>
> Does anybody actually still use FreeS/WAN?

I don't know.  I was talking about back in 1999 or so when it was the only open source IPsec out there, and a pioneering effort in getting around the US restrictions.  (The open source and mass market exceptions did not yet exist then; it's possible that FreeSWAN along with PGP may have helped bring them into existence.)
> If you want to put together a group of non-US people who will actually
> contribute patches of suitable quality, then I'll do what I can to help
> you.  My offer to hand over control of PyCrypto to somebody else still
> stands.[1]
>
> In other words, I agree, but show me the code.

Unfortunately I'm not in any position to do that, partly from lack of knowledge and partly because I'm a US person.  And I don't want to come across as objecting to your plan.  My intent was to raise some questions to make sure that the implications were understood.  As you said, it's a mess and hard to make sense of, especially for us non-lawyers.

	paul