[pycrypto] DES/DES3/XOR/etc removal

Dwayne C. Litzenberger dlitz at dlitz.net
Sat Apr 25 10:13:49 CST 2009

On Wed, Apr 22, 2009 at 01:23:35PM -0400, Jean-Paul Calderone wrote:
>So, what do you say?  Can we decide that backwards compatibility is a good
>thing?

Sure.

Here's my vision going forward:

1. Keep the Crypto.Cipher and Crypto.Hash APIs.  These are easily the most
   popular (and most important) parts of PyCrypto, and they work well.

2. Drop patent-encumbered algorithms.  This means RC5 and IDEA.

3. Clean up copyright/licensing ambiguities.  This is why the previous DES3
   module was removed: From what I can tell, it was written by Eric Young
   and it's probably from libdes, which has the GPL-incompatible BSD
   advertising clause, and is apparently stuck with it:

        "In this non-signed mail he basically says that he does not care
        about this advertising clause anymore as he now works on other
        projects, but is, due to his contract with RSA, unable to release a
        new version with a changed license."
           http://www.mail-archive.com/debian-legal@lists.debian.org/msg13093.html

   If there are compatibility issues with the new DES/DES3 code, please
   report them as bugs.

4. Remove old cruft that nobody uses.  I do *not* plan to drop, MD5, SHA1,
   or DES/DES3, since they are a mandatory part of many protocols, but I'm
   considering dropping:
     - ARC2
     - MD2
     - Chaffing
     - AllOrNothing
     - qNEW

5. Improve the trustworthiness of the implementation.  Crypto.SelfTest is a
   big part of that.  Cleaning up the existing C code and using stdint.h
   (uint32_t et al.) is another.  In the long term, I would also like to
   reduce the amount of hand-coded C, but only if the alternative is less
   likely to have bugs than hand-coded C.

6. Eventually, replace the asymmetric cipher API (PublicKey) with something
   that doesn't try so hard to be a 'grand unified API'.  RSA is
   conceptually very different from DSA, and having it return a tuple just
   because DSA needs to is confusing.

7. Deprecate, then drop Crypto.Util.randpool (replaced with Crypto.Random).
   A lot of people misunderstood how RandomPool was supposed to work, and
   wrote code that was insecure (or secure only due to sheer luck) as a
   result.  See:
    http://lists.dlitz.net/pipermail/pycrypto/2008q3/000000.html
    http://lists.dlitz.net/pipermail/pycrypto/2008q3/000020.html

   I'm open to suggestions about the exact process to use here, as long as
   it results in the old RandomPool implementation going away in the end.

8. Fix and/or replace other confusing APIs.  For example, in
   Crypto.Util.number, isPrime isn't actually cryptographically strong
   (unlike what you might expect from a crypto library), and
   getRandomNumber's behaviour has confused at least one person[1].  Both
   have their purposes, but are confusingly named.

9. Fix implementation bugs and build issues.

11. Maintain compatibility with Python 2.x, versions 2.1 and later for the
    next release, and version 2.2 and later for subsequent releases.  I am
    currently testing against Python 2.1, 2.2, 2.3, 2.4, 2.5, and 2.6.

12. Support Python 3.

13. Avoid US-origin code, to make things simpler for myself and other
    Canadian distributors.  (Yay crypto export controls!)

14. Add full support for ASN.1, PKCS#12, and all variations of X.509.[3]

15. Support mandatory key escrow.[4]

To summarize, I plan to maintain backwards compatibility where it makes
sense, but I also want to fix/remove APIs that violate user expectations,
and I want to remove cruft that nobody uses.  It's not easy to determine
what "nobody uses", so I tend to first search Google Code Search, ask this
mailing list, or just drop the module from the git repository and see if
anyone complains.  If you thought DES/DES3 support was going away, then
complaining here was exactly the right thing to do.

I'll address each of the removed modules:

     - Blowfish: Copyright issues. Replaced with my own implementation.

     - DES/DES3: Copyright issues. Replaced with the implementation from
       LibTomCrypt, plus a wrapper to provide the PyCrypto interface.

     - RIPEMD: Copyright issues. Replaced with my own implementation.

     - IDEA/RC5: Gone due to patent encumbrances (and maybe also copyright
       issues).  Debian's PyCrypto packages have omitted the RC5 and IDEA
       for a long time, and it hasn't been a big problem as far as I can
       tell.  In any case, I don't have any desire to maintain "free"
       software that people aren't actually free to use and/or distribute
       due to patent encumbrances.

As for the XOR module, I removed it for the following reasons:

     - It's insecure as a stream cipher, obviously.

     - The old XOR module would silently truncate its "key" to 32 bytes,
       which violates expectations in a bad way for people who want to use
       it to implement a one-time pad, or a PRNG, or even HMAC-SHA512.

     - I already wrote a replacement strxor module that does fast XORing of
       strings (though with a different API).

     - I thought nobody was making significant use of it.  This might be
       mistaken.

How does Twisted Conch use the XOR module?  Would you prefer to use the new
strxor module instead?  I don't want to resurrect the old XOR.c code, but I
wouldn't be opposed to a wrapper around strxor that provides the same
interface, if someone wanted to write one.[2]

I hope that clears things up.

Cheers!

--
Dwayne C. Litzenberger <dlitz at dlitz.net>
  Key-signing key   - 19E1 1FE8 B3CF F273 ED17  4A24 928C EC13 39C2 5CF7

Footnotes:

[1] I had someone send me an email saying that he had done statistical
tests and found that PyCrypto's random number generator was biased.  I
initially thought he was referring to Crypto.Random, but it turned out that
he was using getRandomNumber(), which always sets the most-significant bit
to 1.

[2] Provided, of course, that the code looks good and the developer is
willing to certify that it meets the "PyCrypto Code Submission Requirements
- Rev. C" <http://www.pycrypto.org/submission-requirements/>

[3] Ha! Just kidding!

[4] Not bloody likely.