[pycrypto] the sad state of pycrypto

Dwayne C. Litzenberger dlitz at dlitz.net
Sun Nov 9 14:16:46 CST 2008

On Sun, Nov 09, 2008 at 12:45:35PM -0700, zooko wrote:
>I wonder if your current ideas, Dwayne Litzenberger, about making a
>cryptography API that is easier for people to use safely without
>knowing a lot about crypto details, means you are exploring design
>space that the Key Czar project has recently jumped into:
>
>http://www.keyczar.org/

Yes, I'm aware of Key Czar, and I'm following their mailing list.  It seems
to be worth paying attention to.  That said, the impression I get is that
the Key Czar guys want to work with their own particular high-level message
syntax, whereas PyCrypto allows users (such as the Paramiko or Twisted
Conch SSH libraries) to make up their own, arbitrary message syntaxes (even
ASN.1, though I don't plan to support ASN.1 directly.)

One day, PyCrypto and Key Czar might even end up merging (or one might make
the other redundant).  I guess we'll have to wait and see.

--
Dwayne C. Litzenberger <dlitz at dlitz.net>
  Key-signing key   - 19E1 1FE8 B3CF F273 ED17  4A24 928C EC13 39C2 5CF7